Welcome back to my kitchen (of sorts)! I’ve been mostly stuck to the drawing board lately, as the past few weeks have been pretty busy. Granted, most of my weeks are busy so I really don’t have any excuse…. But here I am! Of course, the next few weeks and months are just going to be as busy if not busier. Between wedding planning and starting a new job it’s going to be tough, but cooking is definitely in my blood so I’ll keep doing my best!
This week I made southwest stuffed peppers. I really enjoyed making these, and figured out that it’s something that can be tweaked to your liking. The recipe here will be what I made, but you can add or subtract whatever you please!
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- A couple of green peppers (I used 5 for my family, but you’re going to have leftovers anyways so however many you want!)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste
- Fajita seasoning (use enough to season the beef, maybe a little extra with the rice but don’t go overboard)
What you’ll do:
- First, add some oil to a pan and turn on to medium high heat.
- Add the beef to the pan; season and sauté.
- While that is cooking, add water to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once the water has reached a boil, add the rice and turn the heat down to medium and let simmer.
- At this time, start washing the peppers. Cut the tops off and clean them out. Set aside for later.
- When the beef is almost finished, turn down the heat and add the beans and tomatoes and stir.
- The rice should be almost ready at this point; once it is, turn off the heat and add to the meat.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a baking pan, place the peppers so that they are upright. Spoon in some of the mixture into the peppers.
- These will cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Take them out and add some cheese to the tops peppers (never hurts to be generous with the cheese!) and then put back into the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- And there you go, you’re done!
This recipe is a little more complicated than some, but it is so tasty and surprisingly makes a lot of food. It’s a great recipe that will impress anyone but keep you fed for a few days!
Avocado (and extra cheese) are great additions to this as well.. like I said, it’s a great recipe to play around with and add things that you enjoy! Total, this costs around $10, but will definitely provide more than one meal!
I’m definitely going to be making this again, but maybe a new twist next time. I hope that if you made it that you enjoyed it as much as my family and I did!
Until next time friends!