Hope all is well. I know many people are back in classes and back to work, and honestly I’m quite jealous! I’ve been lounging around my parent’s house still on break and I cannot wait to go back to work and class (crazy, I know).
As much as I’m not a fan of all the down time, it has given me a lot of time to think. And plan. And I haven’t exactly left Pinterest in a few days….
But anyways! In my quest to eat much healthier this year, I have come across some cauliflower tortillas! Now, this was my first attempt and I have to say, I will need to try again because it is a little more tricky than I realized. However, I landed on a HUGE gem when I came up with what to put in the tacos.
Oh my lanta, if I thought the last recipe I made was a goldmine, this is easily 10x more of a goldmine. So with that, here’s the recipe for Dr. Pepper pork tacos (all Texans rejoice).
What you’ll need:
- 1 Package of HEB’s fully cooked naturally seasoned pulled pork (it’s a mouthful yes; if you do not have access to an HEB, any microwaveable pulled pork will do)
- 1/2 of an onion, cut up
- Roughly 3/4 of a 1.25 liter of Dr. Pepper
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce
- A couple dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp of butter
What to do:
- First, pour your Dr. Pepper into a pot and put on to boil.
- While that is boiling, cut up your onion and sauté it in a larger pan.
- Microwave your pork until it is warm all the way through.
- After the onions are almost done sautéing, add the pork in and bring the heat down to low and let simmer.
- When the Dr. Pepper is at a boil, reduce the heat and let it cool down a little.
- Add the brown sugar, ketchup, BBQ sauce, Tabasco, and butter. Stir until it has melted together.
- When the sauce has cooled down and melted together, pour the sauce mixture into the meat pan and let it simmer for about 30 minutes (it’ll soak the meat real well OMG so yum!)
- After it’s done simmering, get your tortilla and add the meat and you’re ready to eat!
Now, before you go stuffing your mouth with this deliciousness, lemme stop you. To go with these tacos, I made an avocado ranch and OOH it’s very complimentary!
What you’ll need:
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt (I used a regular yogurt cup, it’s about 5.3 ounces)
- 1/2 a packet of ranch seasoning for Greek yogurt
- The juice from 1 lime
What to do:
- Mash up your avocado.
- Add the yogurt, seasoning, and lime juice.
- Mix until well blended, and then enjoy!
Okay. So now you can go ahead and eat! This recipe was seriously SO good. I surprised myself quite honestly, I figured it would be tasty but i think this is a recipe that I will keep around to impress people.. It’s that good!
In addition to the avocado ranch, I added mango pico and some cilantro. This had to be eaten with a fork because like I said, I have not mastered the art of cauliflower quite yet. However, if you buy regular tortillas to go with this, it should cost you maybe around $15, possibly less. And it’s a good recipe to have if you’re cooking for other people (or yourself, you’ll get more food that way!).
Anyways, this was a homerun on top of homeruns, and I hope that you are able to make it someday!
Okay friends, until next time!
The Dr. Pepper sauce was based on this recipe: http://bethsfavoriterecipes.blogspot.com/2011/11/dr-pepper-sauced-boneless-wings.html?m=1