Howdy friends! This is probably the first time in the semester I’ve had a couple recipes close together.. Usually it takes months for me to get my life together! I feel like I should be more busy, the semester is almost over and it’s getting down to crunch time. Maybe I’m just going through the motions, who knows!
Anyways, I’m back for another tasty recipe! I’m not sure how I didn’t think to look for this type of food earlier.. Cajun food is one of my favorites! So I made some healthy Cajun choices! There’s Cajun baked okra and blackened Cajun salmon. The rice is a good addition, but I’ll be honest, I just bought a pack of microwaveable rice.. Nothing special for that.
Okay cool. Here we go!
What you’ll need:
- Baked Cajun okra
- A pound of okra (I could have bought less but I’m glad for some leftovers!)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic and onion powder
- Blackened Cajun fish
- 1 pound of salmon
- Cajun seasoning
- Onion powder
What to do:
- Baked Cajun okra (This takes about 30 minutes so start this first.)
- First, wash and cut the okra into small pieces.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. I drizzled some olive oil on the okra first and then rolled it in the dry mix.
- Next, preheat your over to 400 degrees.
- Once the oven is ready, put the okra on a baking sheet and into the oven. (spray the baking sheet first so it doesn’t stick.. that would be a sad day!)
- It’ll cook for about 20 minutes. Halfway through cooking, take it out and mix it so that both sides of the okra get baked.
- After the 20 minutes is up you’re good to go and can eat!
- Blackened Cajun fish (this is super easy!)
- Cut your salmon into smaller filets to cook quicker. Then rub some onion powder and Cajun seasoning into the fish.
- Pour a small amount of oil into a pan and heat it up. This is the hard part, as you don’t want too much or your house will become a smoke bomb.. too little will ruin your pan a little.
- Take one filet and turn it so that the seasoned side is face down onto the pan, and sear it for about a minute and a half. It should be blackened enough by that time.
- Once all of your filets are blackened, put them skin side down in a baking pan.
- They can go into the oven with the okra for about 10 minutes. They can probably go for 15, but definitely check them after 10.
- I honestly hate cooking fish, because I can never really tell when it’s done. If you’re like me, I would get a fork and cut one in half and look at it. Salmon will be a lighter pink color after it’s cooked. If you’re not sure, just stick it in the oven for a few more minutes.
- After that, you’re all done!
The rice took 90 seconds to cook, so it’s kind of a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things. This recipe is a little more salty and spicy than I usually cook/eat but it was pretty good!
The okra was probably my favorite part, I’m definitely going to be making this again! For meal prep purposes, this one is harder to do if you’re cooking for more than one person. But it’s oh so worth it! All in all, the whole meal costs a little less than $20, with the salmon being the most expensive part of this.
I love love love Cajun food, and to be able to make it a little healthier and on my own was a definite plus!
I hope if you make it that you really enjoy it!
Until next time friends!
I found the recipe for the okra at: